Thursday, November 7, 2019

Editing Process Part 2

After that fiasco, a few classes later I finally got a chance to edit. My teachers got Pinnical Studio’s on some laptops, since the desktop computers weren’t working. Unfortunately, only 13 of the laptops had Pinnical downloaded. This wasn’t a problem for us, however, because I grabbed us a computer! The teachers said we only had 45 minutes to work on them, because other groups needed to work on them. While I was worried that the editing process would take to long, but my concerns didn’t matter. As soon as the laptop turned on, I opened the Pinnical Studio’s application. Only, it didn’t open correctly. It just stoped at the loading screen, and when we clicked it again, it refused to load. I went up to the teachers to ask for help, and they told me to keep trying. Eventually, we decided to give our computer up to another group.

Fortunately, we had a back up plan. I had the nessesary files downloaded on my phone, as well as IMovie. Unfortunately, IMovie is less than reliable when it comes to using it. It often crashes, or just stops working. I often find myself loosing most of of my saved work when working with it. Sadly, it was our only option, so using it was unavoidable. I inserted our chosen shots into IMovie and helped edit them down to be around 30 seconds. Next, I worked on the transitions, making them all the same and timing each shot to coralate to eachother. Continuity was a big issue, as I the actor was walking at different speeds in each shot. Once that was done, it came time for audio. There was a lot of background noise, so I had to adjust the volume of the audio to be lower. Next, I inserted the voice overs over the dialogue that couldn’t be heard over the ambient noise in the background. This turned out to be a really good call, because almost none of the original audio was very clear.

Finaly, it came time to choose the music. This was a rather hard decision, because everyone in the group had a different idea. In the end, the chosen music track was from a video game’s background music. It was casual with no build up, just simple guitar. Sadly, all of the debate turned out to be meaningless. IMovie, as corporative as always, didn’t allow me to upload the track. Back to the drawing board, I suggested that we use one of IMovie’s provided tracks. No one, including me, liked this idea, because most of IMovie’s tracks were predictable and boring. Surprisingly, as I looked through some of IMovie’s tracks, there were some I hadn’t heard before. In the end, we decided on a song called Sun Room. It was labeled as, “chill,” and generally matched the mood we were trying to present with the commercial. It was electronic, but not overly so. It wasn’t perfect, but it was the best I could find in the provided tracks. All in all, I think our project turned out good, despite the many problems we encountered. I hope the next project I do will include getting to use Pinnical studios!

No comments:

Post a Comment