Monday, November 25, 2019

Filming The Music Video

My group and I filmed over last weekend. This was the only time we could film, as the group member who had the equipment wasn't free the next weekend. We decided that Saturday we would film at FAT Village and the C&I cafe. I managed to get to the right place just fine, just a little later than planned, but we quickly ran into problems. The C&I cafe wouldn't let us film! This was because it wasn't for personal use, but rather for a project. I didn't let this deter me, though, so I came to the decision that we should keep filming. While wandering FAT Village, we got some shots of me, the main actress, "wandering," with some graffiti in the background. Some B-roll was taken, some of it graffiti, some of plants and the like. While walking around, we got some unplanned shots, most of me walking. Overall, even though our plans for the cafe were ruined, we make up for it in extra shots. 11

Later that day, we decided to deviate from our original plans and go to Wynwood on Saturday instead of Sunday. As suspected, the drive was long but very worth it. Wynwood was full of graffiti, so much in fact that we didn't even need to go to FAT Village in the first place! We found an outdoor cafe to film at and we got the shots we needed. While traversing the art district, we came across some graffiti artists doing some installations! Wynwood wasn't only a filming experience, it was like a vacation, as it is so different from my city. Sunday, we went to the beach to get some footage of the sunrise. We set up a tripod, opposed to the mono pod we had used for the footage on Saturday, to get a time-lapse of the sunrise with my phone. Using the other camera, we got footage of a palm tree lit with the sun from behind as well as my silhouette with the sun over my shoulder. After taking a break and getting some breakfast, we returned and took the same footage again, the tree, me and the time-lapse, except during the day! These parallel shots were the last shots we needed and concluded the filming part of our project.11

Some other problems I encountered during the filming process include these. The heat, despite it finally being winter, was close to unbearable. The fact that I was wearing a dark red turtle neck and jeans didn't help, so next time I'm the actress I'll have to keep that in mind. With our previous project, the time it took to do each take was surprisingly long, which was the opposite for this project! Each take was done in about 30 seconds, while traveling between each location could take up to 10 minutes while walking. Another unexpected problem was the surroundings. Cars lined the side of the street in FAT Village, making it hard to get close to the graffiti on the walls. At Wynwood and the beach we didn't have this problem, as the sidewalks were wide and provided parking in a different area. All in all, I think this project went kinda similarly to the commercial, although we did improve in some areas

No comments:

Post a Comment