Thursday, March 12, 2020

Editing: Searching for Sound

When we were first given this project, the first thing my mind went to was music. For our commercial, we had to rush finding some music for it. This scrambled rush for music was partly caused because of the editing software we were using, which was IMovie. I knew that, because we were using Final Cut Pro, we probably wouldn't encounter similar problems that we did with IMovie. IMovie didn't allow us to upload any music, so we had to rush to find new music the day before the project was due. Despite these problems being unlikely to effect the project anymore, I still worried about what possible problems like this that could pop up for this project. My way of working against these problems was to start searching for music immediately. With my group in class started looking at different royalty free music that we could use maybe use in the film. Since the genre of our project was originally fantasy adventure, I looked for epic music. The site that I found the majority of the music we could use is called Fesliyan Studios. Besides epic music, they also had pop music! One of the requirements for the project was to have an actual song, so that was the next thing my group and I started to work on, after gathering a good amount of epic music to use later. The first song that I came across was called Shy, by the Local Natives. This song, unlike the one we had looked at so far, was copyrighted so we would have to contact the people who owned the song to get their permission to use it. Since I didn't want to email them, I kept looking for more songs. One of my team mates happened by another song, Sapphire by Grasshapa and Lo, and emailed the artists for permission. After two weeks, we gave up waiting for a response. Finally, I emailed the Local Native's Manager for permission. We waited two weeks again, and again there was no response. A teammate of mine found another song we might be able to use, and reached out to the artist. We have higher hope for a response because the teammate's father known the artist personally.

This is the email I sent to the Local Native's manager.






No comments:

Post a Comment