Friday, March 20, 2020

Re-Editing

Re-editing was planned to be done as a group, though this didn't end up happening. One of my teammates wasn't allowed to come because his family was trying to implement social distancing. I still came to edit though, since I thought this would be one of the last times we could work as a group to finish this project. The first thing I thought we should do, was to sort through our new footage. We re-shot about eight shots, so we needed to compare each take to see if they were better than the originals. For the footage from inside the house, the re-shots were brighter than the originals, so I decided that we should use them for the final project. The shots I took in the driveway were questionably better than the originals. The shot I needed to retake also required that I re-shoot another shot to better blend it into the film. Both of these shots ended up being good, since the pan was smoother than the original, but they were too bright. I decided that we should keep them in the film, and just put a filter on them to make them match the other shots. The title screen re-shoots were not, though. I decided that we needed to re-shoot those to keep continuity with the other shots, since the streets were wet in the originals. The re-shoots didn't end up looking very good though, the pans were to fast and didn't align with the music, so I had to keep the original shots.

My teammate and I split up the editing work: I would edit the transitions, titles, and filters and she would edit the sounds and effects. The first thing I did was the transitions between the shots. When adding the new footage, the time for the project when down, so I tried to increase the length a little. I matched the actions from shot to shot so they flowed together. Then, I re-positioned the titles so they faded in on time. I also adjusted where they appeared on screen their size, and color in some cases. Inside, it was slightly lighter than before, so I changed the color from white to a grey so I was less out of place. The hardest part was the filters. I had to match every shot's saturation and exposure, which would be hard with the new shots, which were very different in exposure. I decided to make every shot outside be slightly unsaturated, so that the forest was even more different than the rest of the film. I think I went a bit overboard, looking back, on the saturation, though I am still happy with my work.

This image is from when I was inserting the new footage into the project. I came across a problem, where the original footage glitched out. The solution I came up with was to restart the program, and thankfully it worked.


No comments:

Post a Comment