Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Music Video






When going into this project, the thing I didn't expect to have to improve was the accuracy and detail of the storyboard. In the commercial, the story board was very accurate and easy to follow. This was because the setting was already determined since we had to film at school. Since the setting was already determined, coupled with the fact that I was familiar with the setting, it was easy to keep the story board easy to follow.

This was not the case with the music video story board. Since the filming would be done in Wynwood, a place I had never been before, it was hard to create a storyboard that I knew we could realistically adhere too. Despite my efforts, when it came time to film, the storyboard was impossible to follow. So instead there was a lot of improvising.

 Now, improvising isn't necessarily a bad thing. If something goes wrong, you have to come up with a plan to work around it and knowing how to improvise would be especially helpful in that instance. But with this project, where nearly all of the shots taken that day were being improvised, improvisation could bring more harm than good. We needed our shots to flow, to be cohesive and improvising could get in the way of that.

Luckily, we had an experienced film producer in our group. He was my teammate's dad, so he accompanied us to Wynwood to film. From there, we could ask him questions about the correct ways to do things. He suggested taking variations of the same shot in different places. That way, if one of the shots looks bad then we can use another. This was amazingly helpful because these shots seemed to flow together during the editing process. I definitely intend on using his advice in my next project. I've learned that, no mater how much planning you do, something could always go wrong.

Looking back, I think that my improvisational skills greatly increased, so if such a thing were to happen with future projects I would be able to work with it better than I would have with out this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment